The immediate reaction to the topic "A Few of my Favorite Things" was Julie Andrews singing "raindrops on roses..."
Stop right there by mind said. Too prosaic.
Take two. Friends, family, Smokey Mountains, sitting on a lakeside dock. Nope. Too common. Back to "whiskers on kittens..."
Favorite things should invoke warm fuzzy happiness. "Ain't gonna happen," my darkside snarled. With the release of the last book in a series, I'm saying goodbye to a world I created. A book pirate's complaint that I wouldn't gift him all my books and the anniversary of one of the worst days in my writing career didn't put me in a light-hearted frame of mind. So I reached out to books--and their characters. So here's some of my favorite characters' favorite things.
Dal of Clan Daimh, Archmage (Windmaster Legacy)
- Taerneach, the stallion and I've been together since before I was a fetlock high. He's helped me accept I'd never be clan chief
- the magic dagger given me by Gabrielle when she could no longer practice magic.
- the freedom of flight when I take on my soul twin's dragon form. Even if it comes with heavy responsibility and the curse of childlessness.
- the protector of Mt'wan, the enspelled sword has saved my life on more than one occasion
- the feeling of belonging to clan
- the dragon comb that was a present from Branin at the special naming day party given me by the dragshi
- the breeze in my face as I stand a midnight watch at the helm of my ship,
- shipfish dancing on their tails as the silver notes of my flute float across the waves.
- the sun glinting off my gold bracelets of rank.
~till next time, Helen