Join me at Bookstock 24. Meet and greet 60 local authors. Enjoy author talks and book signings, live music, choir performances, food trucks, face painting, and more. It promises to be a special time for the whole family, so we hope to see you all there!

Saturday, April 6, 2024 11a.m. – 3 p.m.
Benjamin L. Hooks Central Library, Memphis TN)
For more information - https://buff.ly/3v1shPt

11/03/2017

Ancestry Inspires #mfrwauthor

It's Week 44. Where has the year gone? Surprisingly, I made it this far. This week's topic in the challenge required a lot of thought. It was officially "A Person who Inspires Me." Did I want to go personal or professional? To expound on a religious figure or an author whose books I love? (However books and their creators was already covered in some form or other in weeks 20, 25, and 39.)



A blend of personal and professional might be an author who acted as a mentor in my younger days. Or a young author who through receiving the mentoring gave me much more back.


I could focus on learning responsibility, honor, and duty from my kin. I am the grand-daughter, daughter, niece, wife, sister-in-law, and aunt of those who served their country in uniform during times of war, whether declared or otherwise. They are acknowledged in my upcoming release Hearth and Sand --  Tales From the Front Lines And The Homefront.

The topic said "A Person." So that restricts it down even further. So, I'm taking the easy way out and writing about two women who inspired me--my mother and my grandmother. Both instilled in me an independence that was ahead of its time. A love of reading helped me to become a correspondent, a writer, and an author. My grandmother was a talented seamstress and craftsperson. One ability skipped a couple of generations (don't ask me to sew on a button), but I do love crafts.

My mother and grandmother also inspired in how they lived, through hard times and loss, peace and war, their own sickness and that of others. Today I honor the one by using her name as my penname for my historical westerns, and the other as the basis for a character. I hope when the time comes to measure my life that it is written I lived it as well as they did with dignity, love, and kindness.

On some of the topics in the challenge, the poster took odds as to how many others would give a specific answer. Stop by the rest of the blog to see how many picked a parent or ancestor as the "Person Who Inspired."

~till next time, Helen

PS - you'll notice there are no pictures of the ladies. One is passed and the other didn't want her picture taken. And since my mother works out with a personal trainer every week, she's stronger than I am so I obeyed her wish.




The gremlins ate spaces or dots in the following posts, so follow these links if you get a 404 (aka not found).

Valerie Ullmer/

7 comments:

  1. LOL on her being a personal trainer. That's awesome. I enjoyed your post Helen. Having strong people around us is important. I'm glad you had it double.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I didn't go the family route on my post, I certainly could have. Thanks to my mother, I am able to sew on a button. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sewing a button is the extent of my ability in that area. thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. No woman with half a brain messes with her mother :) Loved your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or messes with anyone's daughter when their mother is around. Mama bears don't have nothing on an old-world mother. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. I can't see to thread a needle these days. I enjoyed hearing about the two women who inspired you. I used family members, but not mother or grandmother. Either of my grandmothers could have been chosen. I didn't realize how strong my mother was until after she'd passed away. She had a tough life but suffered in silence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For my generation, men were still the strong silent type, their emotions not easily shared. I think I saw my father cry twice. Once on his return from Vietnam and the other at his mother's passing. I've since learned that although they were supposed to be the weaker sex, the women were as strong if not stronger. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete

By posting a comment on this site, you agree with the site's Privacy Policy on how your data is stored and handled.