Join me at Bookstock 24. Meet and greet 60 local authors. Enjoy author talks and book signings, live music, choir performances, food trucks, face painting, and more. It promises to be a special time for the whole family, so we hope to see you all there!

Saturday, April 6, 2024 11a.m. – 3 p.m.
Benjamin L. Hooks Central Library, Memphis TN)
For more information - https://buff.ly/3v1shPt

1/19/2018

They're Not Me #mfrwauthor


Week 3 of the challenge asks a question every writer will have to field sooner or later. "How much of you are in your writing?"

In some ways, every author leaves a little of themselves on the page. It might be an unconscious leakage of a childhood memory appearing in the hero's past or places we've been that became settings in our books. 

Another interpretation of the prompt relates to me as my characters. Am I my characters? Nope! I haven't traveled in outer space or hunted treasures like Indiana Jones. Only in my imagination did I ride the desert with the Rat Patrol, fly missions with the bombers of the 918th on 12 O'Clock High or join the black sheep of VMF-214 in their Corsairs in the Pacific Theater (Baa Baa Black Sheep.)

Then there was the me that helped James bond and Illya Kuryakin and Napoleon Solo save the world. I won't admit which of the hunky Men From U.N.C.L.E. was my favorite. Now you can see why adventure and action must be in my stories. 

http://helenhenderson-author.blogspot.com/p/windmaster_5.html There are areas where I admit to writing myself into my books--and that is an attitude. All my heroes and heroines have a strong belief in duty and honor. To quote Detective Vincent Hardy in Striking Distance, "Loyalty above all else... except honor."

Conflicts between loyalties appears in Windmaster Legacy when Lord Dal must decide between saving his mother, his wife, or to honor his role as archmage and save magic for all future generations. 
http://helenhenderson-author.blogspot.com/p/windmaster_21.html

Some authors create characters that are mirror images of themselves. Either as they are in real life or who they want to be. Except for Lady Ellspeth, captain of Sea Falcon, and myself both having silver hair, my characters and I don't share any physical characteristics. While Ellspeth loves the crustaceans found in her native seas of Nerelan, and I love Gulf shrimp, I firmly state -- I'm not my characters.

For more on the Windmaster Novels, click on the covers. This is a hop so be sure to visit the other authors in the challenge. ~till next time, Helen



A dust bunny blipped a couple of the links. Hopefully, these will get you through.

Dee S. Knight

10 comments:

  1. I can't imagine writing a character who is me. He'd be so . . . boring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I feel about my life. And what isn't yawn-worthy wouldn't be believable.

      Delete
  2. Me, too. My memoirs would only be of use as a sleep aid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe its because I usually write science fiction and fantasy I always thought imagination was better than real-life. My memoir wouldn't be anything close to what I could envision. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. I don't think I could ever create "me" in one of my stories. A few quirks or traits, sure but never me fully. That would be way too weird and I'd have a seriously hard time getting through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever someone suggests creating a mini-me in a book I always think of the actors and actresses who refuse to watch themselves on screen.

      Delete
  4. I've always preferred reading science fiction and fantasy, or thrillers, so it was natural to gravitate to speculative fiction when I started writing. I'm always in my writing though ... like you with attitudes. I think it's important that we are in our writing and being our authentic selves :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made a great point that authors have to be authentic. thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. That's why I like paranormal and fantasy- much more interesting than detailing way too much time in the laundry room, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your comparison between fantasy and real life. Forget the laundry,it's the hours cleaning the house that would send the readers to sleep. lol. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete

By posting a comment on this site, you agree with the site's Privacy Policy on how your data is stored and handled.