Join me at Bookstock 24. Meet and greet 60 local authors. Enjoy author talks and book signings, live music, choir performances, food trucks, face painting, and more. It promises to be a special time for the whole family, so we hope to see you all there!

Saturday, April 6, 2024 11a.m. – 3 p.m.
Benjamin L. Hooks Central Library, Memphis TN)
For more information - https://buff.ly/3v1shPt

5/07/2019

Tuesday's Title, Betrayed, A First Contact/Science Fiction novel


The overwhelming crime of one planet leads to a penal colony being started on another planet and results in huge changes taking place in the lives of the innocent inhabitants.

Title: Betrayed (Silence of the Innocent/Cry of the Guilty Book 2)

Author: Joan Donaldson-Yarmey

Genre: Science Fiction, First Contact

Publisher: BWL Publishing
Buy Links:   OneClick to Stores

Blurb:

After two pieces of an asteroid hit their planet and knocked it off its axis, the surviving beings have spent centuries rebuilding their society on the edge of disaster. The Leaders made Great Changes and Purges constructing twenty huge cities, called megalopolises, to house their population, cultivating large farms, and purging most of the technology so everyone had a job.

This second book in the series is about the short life of the colony on the planet Despite a promising start, the penal colony quickly disintegrates into chaos. When the weather turns stormy and snow falls, hungry and cold prisoners swarm the warehouses looking for food. The spaceship that had remained on the planet to be used for trips for supplies is attacked by the prisoners and lifts off the ground. Unable to land due to fear of being attacked again, the ship finally abandons the prisoners and the half build village and heads to their home planet.

Gwin, a prisoner, and the historian Sari, who is left on the planet by mistake, had discovered a cave of native inhabitants on one of their explorations. When the snow and cold and fighting forces them to leave the village they go to the cave of the natural inhabitants hoping for help. They are ignored and are close to death from cold and starvation before finally being invited into the cave. Their resulting friendship leads to heartbreak for the cave people and could adversely affect the future generations of the planet.

Behind the Scene:

This series began with a sentence in my mind. When I started to flesh it out, I was writing a chapter a week. It eventually ran into about 110,000 words so I broke it into the two novels: The Criminal Streak and Betrayed. I named the series Silence of the Innocent/Cry of the Guilty which will only be understood at the end of Betrayed.

Author Bio:

I was born in New Westminster, B.C. Canada, and raised in Edmonton, Alberta. Over the years I worked as a bartender, hotel maid, cashier, bank teller, bookkeeper, printing press operator, meat wrapper, gold prospector, warehouse shipper, house renovator, and nursing attendant.

Since I love change, I have moved over thirty times in my life, living on acreages and farms and in small towns and cities throughout Alberta and B.C. I now live on an acreage on Vancouver Island with my husband and three female cats.

I began my writing career with a short story, progressed to travel and historical articles, and then on to travel books. I called these books my Backroads series and in the seven of them I described what there is to see and do along the back roads of British Columbia, Alberta, the Yukon, and Alaska. They were published by Lone Pine Publishing in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. I then switched to fiction, writing three mystery novels, Illegally Dead, The Only Shadow in the House, and Whistler's Murder. The main character is a travel writer who gets involved in murders every time she heads out to work on an article for a travel magazine. In my stand-alone mystery novel, Gold Fever, I combine mystery with a little romance.

I have also written three Canadian historical novels: West to the Bay, and West to Grande Portage, and Romancing the Klondike.

I write in different genres mainly because I get an idea and write the book and then decide where it fits in the writing world. That is the way I wrote The Criminal Streak and Betrayed. They were my first science fiction novels.

All my fiction is published by BWL Publishing in Airdrie, Alberta, Canada.


For more on Joan and her works, find her on the web at:

Publisher's Website / Goodreads  



No comments:

Post a Comment

By posting a comment on this site, you agree with the site's Privacy Policy on how your data is stored and handled.