Join me at Bookstock 24. Meet and greet 60 local authors. Enjoy author talks and book signings, live music, choir performances, food trucks, face painting, and more. It promises to be a special time for the whole family, so we hope to see you all there!

Saturday, April 6, 2024 11a.m. – 3 p.m.
Benjamin L. Hooks Central Library, Memphis TN)
For more information - https://buff.ly/3v1shPt

4/12/2021

2021 J : Journal

 #AtoZChallenge 2021 banner

 

Yes, I realize that I used Journalling for the 2020 topic, but this year focuses more on the means than the action.

What is a journal? One definition is "a daily record of news and events of a personal nature; a diary." Another way to think of a journal, is the document in which you make the periodic annotations. Before the days of computers and the Internet, a journal was several handfuls of lined or blank pages bound together awaiting your pearls of wisdom and prose. A special cover meant to inspire or enhance your environment with its design provided the basis for purchase for your own use or as a gift.

Woodland scenes, mountain vistas, or even great works of art all grace journal covers. If someone knows you love flowers, you may unwrap a birthday gift to discover it is a special pen and a journal with Monet's water lilies on the cover.

Image by Pashminu Mansukhani from Pixabay

As a writer, I am still old school enough to write out notes and first draft in longhand on paper. The word processor auto-correct frustrating. Especially its habit of turning itself on and changing words after I typed them. The predictive function on my tablet (can't say the name as the manufacturer might send me to their equivalent of jail or delete my reviews) is even worse. As a typist, my mind composes and my eyes stay on the manuscript or the notes, not on the keyboard. With the tablet I am constantly shifting my focus to finger placement to the suggested words, then up to the screen and back to the keyboard again.

Image by Amber Avalona
from Pixabay

The covers attract, calling "Take me home. I am perfect for your next project."But when you get home you say, "I cannot write in you. You are too beautiful I will save you for something special."

So there it sits on the shelf, atop of a pile of other special journals the top dog until the next shiny, glittering one comes along.






If you're following other blogs in the challenge, here's the master list of the other participants.

To make following the hop easier, here is the link to all my posts. Just remember, the next day's post isn't live until midnight. 

~ till next time, Helen




1 comment:

  1. I used to keep a journal befire internet came to my life and then it became my two blogs
    Here from AtoZ https://poojapriyamvada.blogspot.com/2021/04/jijivisha-newnormal-a2z.html

    ReplyDelete

By posting a comment on this site, you agree with the site's Privacy Policy on how your data is stored and handled.