Join me at Bookstock 24. Meet and greet 60 local authors. Enjoy author talks and book signings, live music, choir performances, food trucks, face painting, and more. It promises to be a special time for the whole family, so we hope to see you all there!

Saturday, April 6, 2024 11a.m. – 3 p.m.
Benjamin L. Hooks Central Library, Memphis TN)
For more information - https://buff.ly/3v1shPt

7/26/2019

Too Depressing #MFRWauthor



"To Have Or Have Not?" I need to explain the topic further. It is not a post about weddings and a traditional vow, but about bucket lists. Similar topics in the 2017 and 2018 challenges dealt more with the contents of a bucket list than the current post. This one, however, is whether to have one or not.

I admit to being more of a realist than an optimist. Besides my natural tendencies to the more solemn, I have also lived long enough to know life can ruin the best laid plans. When growing up, the expectation was that you'd work for the same company (or be a lifer in the military) for two or three decades, then walk out the door with a gold watch and a nice pension. Retirement was to begin with a cruise, traveling the country, and visiting with family before settling down to enjoy hobbies delayed by putting work before pleasure.

Reality is that none of the companies I've worked for over the years still exist. No pension, no golden parachute separation bonus. As to the traveling? Life decreed I become a caregiver instead.

Image by Renee Gaudet from Pixabay

Although I did come up with a few items as part of writing the earlier challenges, as to whether I actually have a list written down in some secret notebook? The answer is real short--No. While I try to grant my characters their dreams, as to having some of my own? Maybe I'll answer that in some future post, but not right now.

~till next time, Helen



5 comments:

  1. Another factor to consider: those bucket list items you set your heart on now might not mean as much when you finally gather the time and $$ to check them off your list. I remember, back in my early 20s, thinking that going dancing in a nightclub was THE peak experience. Now? Meh. My idea of a good time changes as I age, and the thought of facing yet another trans-Atlantic flight gives me a headache.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. great point that our interests change as years and stages of life change.

      Delete
  2. The only list I have of places I'd like to see and things I'd like to do before the end, is written in a blog post from a #MFRWauthor topic from a couple years ago. I don't live my life hoping to check off items on a list. If it happens, I will enjoy each minute. If not, I will remember the things I've already seen and done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I wrote the earlier challenge I did like you. A list of things I'd like to do, but am not stressing out or actively working on the list. Even as the words hit the paper I knew my list would not come true. But I hope your wish list does. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. I agree, Helen. Though I tend to live my everyday life by a schedule, I've found that life usually doesn't turn out how I expect it to.

    ReplyDelete

By posting a comment on this site, you agree with the site's Privacy Policy on how your data is stored and handled.